2021 city pet licenses are available

HURON — Beadle County Humane Society Executive Director Kim Krueger would like to remind the citizens of Huron that it is the law that cats and dogs that live in the City of Huron must be licensed yearly!

This applies to all cats and dogs, even if they never go outside. Licenses can be purchased at the shelter, but you must call to make an appointment. Call 352-8955 from 8 a.m. to noon Monday through Friday.

You can also purchase your pet licenses where you pay your water bill at City Hall. If it is more convenient, they can also license through the mail. Just call or e-mail the shelter for more information.

There will be a $1 processing fee added to the license fee if done by mail. Licenses fees are due by Jan. 31 each year.

Krueger would like to remind pet owners that they must be able to provide proof of current rabies vaccination at the time of licensing.  

Not only is licensing your pet required, it is very important in order for the shelter to get your lost pet home in a timely fashion to alleviate the stress on both the owner and the animal. It also helps them contact an owner in an emergency medical situation.

The fees for pet licenses are as follows:

  • Altered pets $5
  • Unaltered pets $10
  • Kennel license (for persons owning four or more animals) $50
  • If your pet is impounded without a license the fee will be $25
  • If you fail to comply with the licensing ordinances animal control can issue a summons in which case you will have to pay a fine along with licensing fees and possible court costs.

Please call the shelter and make your pet a legal citizen!


Video News
More In Community