HURON — The S.D. State Fairgrounds - recent host to Wheel Jam and its collection of heavy metal - will host some working engines of a diffferent sort this weekend.
The Huron Area Antique Power Show will make its 20th annual appearance in the southwest corner of the Fairgrounds on Saturday and Sunday, June 17 and 18.
This year’s featured farm equipment grand is Huber, and Stover Gas Engines are the featured stationary gas engines.
A parade will take place each day at 2:30 p.m. and is the highlight of the weekends activities.
On display will be dozens of antique cars, farm equipment and more, along with a flea market.
The Richland 4-H Club will provide a lunch stand and an outdoor worship service is planned Sunday morning at 8:30 .
Huber Tractors were produced from 1898 until 1942. The 1898 model was a gas tractor built on a frame formerly used for a steam traction engine. They sold 30 units and then discontinued production. Huber returned to gas tractors in 1910 with limited production up to 1916. These included the “Prairie” tractor as a 15-30 two cylinder and 30-60 four cylinder tractor until 1916.
A small company based in Marion, Ohio, Huber Manufacturing Co. made about 14,000 tractors total. That’s fewer than Farmall or John Deere made in one year. However, Huber had a long and successful tenure.
In 1916, Huber put the “Light Four” 12-25 (12 HP on drawbar and 25 HP on the belt) into production. The last of 1500 “Light Four” models was built in 1928. Starting in 1921, Huber produced the “Super Four” 15-30. In 1926, Huber designed a uni-frame tractor. These “Super Four” models came in three sizes: 18-36, 20-40 and 25-50. After being Nebraska tractor tested, the horsepower ratings were increased to 21-39, 32-45 and 40-62.
In 1929, the heavy uni-frame construction was discontinued, thus reducing the weight of the tractor by about 2,000 pounds. The Huber “HS” rated as a 20-36 tractor, was produced until 1943. This was considered their threshing tractor. They also produced an “HK” model rated at 32-45.
In 1930, Huber developed a standard tread tractor, using the John Deere GP as a pattern, the 10-20 “Modern Farmer” K, S and L was produced. A companion cultivating tractor was patterned on the Farmall Regular. The “Modern Farmer” KC, SC and LC were the tricycle-style cultivating tractors. In 1935, approximately 300 of the Model S/SC and L/LC were sold to Farm Bureau as CO-OP tractors. “Modern Farmer” L and LC tractors were built up to the end of production in 1942.
In 1936, the final evolution of Huber farm tractors was marketed. The Model B was a 2 to 3 plow tractor and the only “styled” tractor that Huber produced. It was marketed until, in 1942, the U.S. War Department determined that Huber would stop production of farm equipment and concentrate on road construction equipment in support of the war effort. After the war, Huber did not return to the farm equipment business.
The B series tractors included the B-4 standard tread; the BO, an orchard tractor; and the BG, a small grader. The Model B tractor was to have a long life, though. It became the basis for the Huber Maintainer. With the many attachments available the Huber Maintainer became a motor grader, loader, bucket, bulldozer, side dozer, scarifier, berm leveler, road sweeper and a sickle bar roadside mower. A-T-O purchased Huber in 1977 and moved the factory to Charleston, S.C., and ceased production in 1994.
There is now a Huber Museum where the original factory was in Marion, Ohio.