HURON — In a fast-paced meeting Monday night, the Huron city commission moved through a number of items on its agenda, including approval of a newly-revamped city Coronavirus policy.
City human resources director Nathan Hofer spoke to the work on the policy and the intention to extend employee payment provisions within the policy to the end of February.
“We don’t know what may be coming from the incoming (Biden) administration,” said Hofer. “Once we know, we can make changes as needed.”
Mayor Gary Harrington agreed with Hofer’s assessment, referring to the policy as a “living” document at the moment. Commissioners approved the policy unanimously.
The commission worked to close 2020 books on the evening, approving a first reading of the supplemental appropriations for 2020. The second reading will be Jan. 25. Commissioners also reviewed year-end fund transfers with city finance director Paullyn Carey and approved those transfers.
• Appointed Dan Campbell to fill the remainder of the term vacated by Allen Sager on the Historic Preservation Board.
• Approved an alcoholic beverage consumption permit for the Huron Volunteer Fire Department for quarterly meetings at the North Fire Station.
• Approved an alcoholic beverage consumption permit for Alma Reyes for an event Jan. 23 at the Nordby Exhibit Hall.
• Approved the temporary promotion of Jessica Wegenke to full-time circulation desk assistant for the library.
• Approved the regular status of Alex Gigov, technology/assistant library director, after completion of probationary period.
• Accepted the resignation of Colby Vlieger from Splash Central Management position, effective Feb. 14.
• Approved advertising for position of Central Park Manager position.
City offices will be closed Monday, Jan. 18 for Martin Luther King Jr Day, and there will be no commission meeting.
The Solid Waste Department released the following statement:
“The Solid Waste Department rubble site will be closed on Monday, Jan. 18, in observance of Martin Luther King Jr Day.
Monday’s garbage & recycling will be collected on Wednesday, Jan. 20. Have your containers out Tuesday evening as the trucks will NOT be rerouted.
If you have any questions, please call 353-8542.”