HURON — City commissioners worked through a light agenda on Monday.
They announced that city offices will be closed and the board won’t meet next Monday for the Native American/Columbus Day holiday.
The Monday garbage, recycling and compost containers will be collected on Wednesday, Oct. 16. Containers should be out Tuesday night as the trucks will not be rerouted.
Commissioners appointed Jeffrey Van Winkle and Nina Akin to the Historic Preservation Board.
In other business, they:
• Approved a request for alcoholic beverage consumption in a public area filed by Runnings for its Ladies Night event Oct. 16.
• Accepted the resignation of Officer Brian Mayberry from the police department.
• Accepted the resignation of volunteer firefighter Jeff Raaen.
• Approved a $93,047 progress payment to Olson Construction of Huron for water main replacement work.
• Approved a final payment of $151,161 to Olson Construction of Huron for anaerobic lagoon cleaning. They also approved liquidated damages of $3,250 for going past the contract due date by five days, but also agreed to a 28-day extension due to the weather.
• Approved a progress payment of $210,494 to Premier Contracting LLC of Huron for sludge drying bed improvements.
• Approved the assessment of delinquent special assessments for street, curb and gutter and water and sewer improvements against lots in the Estabrook subdivision of the Prairie Green addition in southwest Huron. The county was unable to sell the lots at a recent tax sale.
• Heard a presentation of the 2018 audited financial statements.
• Declared a list of property as surplus to be sold in an online only auction.
• Authorized the solid waste department to apply for grant funds to replace a seven-year-old recycle truck. The anticipated cost of $300,000 would be split 50-50 by the grand and city funds.
• Proclaimed this as National Fire Prevention Week in Huron.
• Approved a raffle request filed by the Huron Country Club.