Escaped inmates captured in Huron

HURON – A state penitentiary inmate who failed to return to the Sioux Falls Community Work Center last Thursday was caught in Huron Sunday morning, authorities said.
Sean Kilbourn, 28, had failed to return after looking for work. He was nabbed by a Beadle County deputy sheriff and Huron police officers after a tip led to a foot pursuit.
Then, on Tuesday, Huron police officers assisted the U.S. Marshals Service Tuesday morning in Huron that resulted in the arrest of an individual wanted for auto theft in Nebraska.
Public Information Officer Casey Spinsby said the Marshals Service was searching for Aaron Whitehall. They had tracked Whitehall to 642 Dakota Ave. N.
Police officers provided perimeter support while the Marshals conducted a consent search of the residence. Whitehall was located attempting to hide in the garage.
After a brief struggle, a Taser was deployed and Whitehall was taken into custody without further incident. The Huron Ambulance Service was called to the location so Whitehall could be cleared for transport to the Regional Correction Center.
A second male, Brandon Ransom, 34, was also located on the property during the search. Spinsby said he was taken into custody for outstanding warrants in Beadle County.
A second inmate who was placed on escape status at the same time as Kilbourn, 31-year-old Michael Clark, was apprehended in a Sioux Falls residence on Tuesday afternoon.
Both inmates had been placed on escape status last week, when they failed to return to the penitentiary after leaving to seek work in the Sioux Falls area.
Clark is currently serving an eight-year sentence for grand theft out of Charles Mix County and two concurrent five-year sentences for second-degree burglary out of Miner County.
Kilbourn is currently serving a four-year sentence from Tripp County for unauthorized ingestion of a controlled substance.
Failing to return to custody following an assignment or temporary leave constitutes second-degree escape, a class 5 felony, and is punishable by a maximum of five years in prison.