DE SMET — De Smet junior Kalen Garry has been named the Class B Player of the Year for boys’ basketball by the South Dakota Basketball Coaches Association for the 2020-21 season.
Garry, a 6-foot, 3-inch guard, led the Bulldogs to the Class B state championship this year. He headlines the Class B all-state team, which was announced Tuesday.
It is the second consecutive year Garry has been named to the first team after having been selected to the second team in 2019 as a freshman.
Garry led De Smet this season with averages of 23 points, seven rebounds and three assists per game this season.
Also appearing on the first team for a third straight season this year was senior Connor Libis of Dell Rapids St. Mary. The 5-9 guard had averages of 23.1 points, 4.5 rebounds and three assists, while finishing his high school basketball career with 2,731 points.
Rounding out this year’s first team are sophomore Joe Sayler of White River, senior Tyce Ortman of Canistota, senior Gradee Sherman of Viborg-Hurley and senior Sam Aslesen of Howard. Ortman and Sherman were named to the second team a year ago.
Sayler, a 6-3 guard/forward, averaged 29.3 points per game, while grabbing 6.1 rebounds and having 2.6 assists per game.
Ortman, a 5-11 guard, had averages of 17.6 points, 5.7 rebounds and 5.1 assists.
Sherman, a 6-5 forward/center, averaged 21.9 points and 12.4 rebounds.
Aslesen, a 6-7 forward, scored 19.6 points per game and had 7.7 rebounds to go along with 2.3 assists.
Junior Rett Osthus was named to the second team for De Smet. The 6-0 guard, had averages of 10.1 points, 3 rebounds and 4.8 assists during the championship run for the Bulldogs.
Also named to the second team were senior Tisyn Spader of Howard, senior Matthew Nibbe of Elkton-Lake Benton, senior Chase Merrill of Canistota, senior Kelby VanDerWerff of Platte-Geddes and sophomore Malek Wieker of Aberdeen Christian. VanDerWerff was also on the third team last season.
Senior Jacob Messmer of Wessington Springs was named to the third team this season. The 6-5 center had averages of 19.1 points and 11.1 rebounds for the Spartans.
Also named to the third team were senior Brendan Wentland of Corsica-Stickney, senior Brent Ekanger of Aberdeen Christian, junior Cadey Foxley of Platte-Geddes, junior Grant Luikens of Potter County and freshman Daniel Mitchell of Gregory.
South Dakota Basketball Coaches Association
2020-21 All-State Boys Basketball Teams
• Kalen Garry, De Smet, 6-3 jr., guard (23 ppg, 7 rpg, 3 apg)
• Connor Libis, Dell Rapids St. Mary, 5-9, sr., guard (23.1 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 3 apg, 2,731 career points)
• Joe Sayler, White River, 6-3, so., guard-forward (29.3 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 2.6 apg)
• Tyce Ortman, Canistota, 5-11, sr., guard (17.6 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 5.1 apg)
• Gradee Sherman, Viborg-Hurley, 6-5, sr., forward-center (21.9 ppg, 12.4 rpg)
• Sam Aslesen, Howard, 6-7, sr., forward (19.6 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 2.3 apg)
• Tisyn Spader, Howard, 6-4, sr., guard (17.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 2.8 apg)
• Rett Osthus, De Smet, 6-0, jr., guard (10.1 ppg, 3 rpg, 4.8 apg)
• Matthew Nibbe, Elkton-Lake Benton, 6-4, sr., forward (16.1 ppg, 7.9 rpg)
• Chase Merrill, Canistota, 6-3, sr., guard-forward (17.3 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 3.6 apg)
• Kelby VanDerWerff, Platte-Geddes, 6-5, sr., forward (16.3 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 2.5 apg, 40 blocks)
• Malek Wieker, Aberdeen Christian, 6-0, so., guard (13 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 4.7 apg)
• Brendan Wentland, Corsica-Stickney, 6-0, sr., guard (198 ppg, 8 rpg, 4 apg)
• Brent Ekanger, Aberdeen Christian, 6-0, sr., forward (10.6 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 2.5 apg)
• Jacob Messmer, Wessington Springs, 6-5, sr., center (19.1 ppg, 11.1 rpg)
• Cadey Foxley, Platte-Geddes, 6-4, jr., center (16.3 ppg, 11 rpg, 51 blocks)
• Grant Luikens, Potter County, 6-3, jr., guard-forward (20.1 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 3 apg, 57 steals)
• Daniel Mitchell, Gregory, 6-7, fr., center (26.4 ppg, 11.6 rpg, 63 blocks)