The Huron High School Chamber Orchestra will be at the Huron Public Library on Dec. 13 at 11 a.m. Join them for live Christmas music and enjoy complimentary hot cocoa and apple cider. The setlist includes selections from The Nutcracker, traditional Christmas carols, and more.
The annual Christmas Lane BINGO has started! Pick up a BINGO card at the Huron Public Library or Huron Chamber & Visitors Bureau. Cards are also available online at: hpl.huronsd.gov OR huronsd.com. Grab some hot cocoa, load the car, and enjoy the lights and the lanes. Completed BINGO cards must be returned to the Library or Chamber by Jan. 2 to be eligible for prizes.
Kids’ Korner (Birth – 3rd Grade):
Kids’ Korner invites third graders and under to attend monthly programs which include: LEGO Club, Pokémon Club, Dinosaur Club, BabyJiggles, and Elementary Explorers.
Visit Santa Dec. 12!
Celebrate Christmas at the Library! On Dec. 12 from 5 to 7:30 p.m., Santa and Mrs. Claus will be at the library. Mrs. Claus will read a Christmas story at 6:30 p.m.
Make and Take Christmas card kits will also be available until supplies last.
• Wednesday, Dec. 14, you can stop in to decorate a Sugar Cookie!
• The library will be hosting a movie night on Dec. 16 at 6:30 p.m. Come for a hot cocoa bar and watch “Polar Express!”
• For Winter Break, Kids’ Korner will be showing “Frozen II” at the library on Dec. 28 at 1:30 pm.
• Kids can come to paint a winter scene on Dec. 29 at 2 p.m. Registration is required through the library website’s calendar for the painting activity.
Tweens / Teens (4th – 12th Grade):
• Saturday, Dec. 3, 6 to 7:30 p.m., the tweens and teens will enjoy a Christmas potluck. The youth are asked to bring a dish to share and will enjoy a time of group games.
• Wednesday, Dec. 7, at 2 p.m., will be early release activities. The youth are invited to gather together for a time of Switch games, crafts, and food.
• Thursday, Dec. 8, from 4 to 4:30 p.m., is Fun with Food LIVE. Mary and Glenda will demonstrate how to make brownies for National Brownie Day.
• Friday, Dec. 9, from 4 to 5 p.m., tweens and teens can show their creative tendencies by making snow globes.
• Tuesday, Dec. 13, from 4 to 5:15 p.m., is the monthly Super Smash Tournaments, which will determine who is the best Smash player of the week.
• Thursday, Dec. 15, is National Cupcake Day with a cupcake eating contest from 4 to 4:30 p.m.
• Wednesday, Dec. 21, from 4 to 5:30 p.m., is Contagious Intelligence. The youth will make and mold snow.
• Tuesday, Dec. 27, from 2 to 3 p.m., is pizza and recycled jeans no-sew owl craft.
• Wednesday, Dec. 28, from 2 to 2:30 p.m., youth will be making a polar bear themed treat.
• Thursday, Dec. 29, from 1 to 2:15 p.m., is the last Super Smash for the year!
• Friday, Dec. 30, is a New Year’s Eve Party. The action begins at 5:30 to 7 p.m. with Nerf Wars (limited to 36) followed with a light dinner and candy scavenger hunt (limited to 60) from 7 to 8 pm.
• Dec. 1 at 9 a.m., registration for adult crafts held on Jan. 9 will open. Participants will be making a salt-shaker snowman.
• Dec. 5 at 1 and 6 p.m., Monday Movies will be showing the movie “Holiday Inn” (1942). Runtime is 1 hour 40 minutes and snacks will be provided.
• Dec. 6 at 6:30 p.m., author Wayne Fanebust will discuss his most recent book, “No Justice for Agnes.” It tells the tragic and sad story of the strange death of Agnes Polries, a 16-year-old immigrant girl, and the sensational South Dakota murder trials of Emma Kaufmann who was arrested for murdering Agnes. Copies of the book are available to check out at the library circulation desk. This program is sponsored by the South Dakota Humanities Council.
• Dec. 12 at 1 and 6 p.m., adult crafts will be making snowflake tree ornaments. Registration is required.
Details for adult book clubs are as follows:
• Mystery Book Club – Dec. 8 at 5:30 p.m., reading “The Last Thing He Told Me” by Laura Dave. This month the group will meet at the Pyle House (located at 376 Idaho Ave. S.E). to enjoy a meal and conversation. Attendees are invited to stay and help decorate the Pyle House for Christmas following book club.
• Area Senior Center Book Club – Dec. 16 at 10:15 a.m. at the senior center. Reading “Three Things About Elsie” by Joanna Connon.
The library will be closed Dec. 24-26 for the Christmas holiday. For more information about any library programs, pick up a monthly calendar at the library, watch Facebook for event notices, or give us a call at 605-353-8530.