Huron Regional Medical Center (HRMC) honored its employees for 740 years of combined service in addition to two employees for exceptional customer service skills at the hospital’s Employee Awards Presentation on Jan. 8 at the Legacy Plaza Auditorium.
During the event, which was hosted at the hospital and online to accommodate social distancing, 38 employees from 19 departments were recognized for sharing their hearts and years of service, ranging from 5 to 40 years, with hospital patients. Employees in attendance enjoyed a meal while reflecting on 2020 and celebrating the care provided by all in attendance.
In addition to the service awards, HRMC recognized two employees with special awards. Tom Miner, who has worked as a certified physician assistant (PA-C) in HRMC’s emergency room for more than four years, was selected by the HRMC board of directors to be the 2020 Exceptional Employee of the Year from the 12 monthly exceptional employee candidates.
According to co-workers, “Tom is a true friend and co-worker and has a special way of listening to what is said — while also looking for what is left unsaid,” the nomination continued. “He does his job professionally and courteously; making sure all questions are answered by confirming understanding and having a plan in place for the best outcome. Tom is knowledgeable, kind and is very sensitive to the needs of patients and fellow employees.”
Miner earned a nursing degree from Huron University and graduated from the physician assistant program at the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks, ND.
Originally from Huron, he graduated from Huron High School and is the son of Hugh and Helen Miner. In his spare time, Miner enjoys hunting and spending time outdoors.
Receiving the 2020 Mickey Mouse Award was Jennifer Gross, who has worked as a surgical technician in the HRMC surgery department for more than 12 years.
The Mickey Mouse Award began in 1989 in memory of Dr. David Buchanan, whose uplifting personality and contagious smile were an inspiration to all that knew him. Each year, an HRMC employee who is dedicated to making people feel better in whatever they do is selected by their co-workers.
According to her co-workers, “Jen will not let a mask take away a smile — the joy she shares with a smile, although covered up, radiates and lights up the eyes and lives of each person she meets,” according to one nomination form. “She has a very special way of making everyone feel valued and appreciated. Jen’s contagious laugh is both heartwarming and uplifting!”
Originally from Huron, Gross completed the surgical technician program at Southeast Technical College in Sioux Falls. She is the daughter of Jackie Ochsner and Dan and Joani Ochsner. She and her husband, Kyle, live in Wolsey with their daughter Avery.
Other employees honored at the awards ceremony for service anniversary awards included:
• Sandi Johnson, Food Service
• Stacy Johnson-Treib, Intensive Care Unit
• Lauren Marquardt, Quality Risk Management
• Lindsey McCaskell, Medical/Surgical Unit
• Kristin Pratt, Physicians Clinic
• Karen Quiram, Environmental Services
• Chelsey Schroeder, Rehabilitation Services
• Roxy Stienblock, Environmental Services
• Lea Telkamp, Pharmacy
• Candi Todd, Environmental Services
• Dorajean Wipf, Rehabilitation Services
• Chessa Boomsma, Emergency Room
• Jill Christiansen, Medical/Surgical Unit
• Jackie Kleinsasser, Emergency Room
• Tarryn Korkow, Surgery
• Terry Wallace, Plant Operations
• Amy Gamber, Food Service
• Michelle Hohn, Home Care
• Kathy Holt, Business Office
• Sam Janes, Surgery
• Jenifer Kahre, Obstetrical Unit
• Lisa Kranzler, Obstetrical Unit
• Debra Metter, Business Office
• Carla Brock, Home Care
• JoAnn Jones, Business Office
• Jeannie Keating, Obstetrical Unit
• Sheila Renner, Laboratory
• Cindy Thomas, Rehabilitation Services
• Diane Blue, Health Information Management
• Peggy Gleich, Emergency Room
• Nancy Hofer, Surgery
• Dawn Johnson, Information Services
• Emma Kranz, Intensive Care Unit
• Bobbi Simons, Rehabilitation Services
• Carol Clement, Physicians Clinic
• Sara Eckmann, Surgery
• Sue Hedlund, Radiology
• Jim Tapken, Respiratory Therapy