Library to host free seminar for writers
Are you interested in writing a book? Have you already started or even written a book and aren’t sure what to do next?
On Saturday, Oct. 7, the Huron Public Library is excited to offer a free event for writers! It will feature five published authors from South Dakota and will focus on editing, publishing, marketing, copyright, and more!
• 10:05 - 10:35 a.m. — Importance of Editing with Sallianne Hines. Sallianne is a long-time writer and has written and published four books since 2020. Attend this session to gain a working overview of editing and dispel common misconceptions. Learn about the types of editing, when each might be needed. Discover how to save on editing expenses by knowing how to prepare your work, which editing tasks you can do yourself, how to choose an effective editor, where to find one, and best practices in the industry.
• 10:45 - 11:20 a.m. — Legally Speaking About Writing with Christine Mager Wevik. Christine will be discussing the legal aspects to writing and researching nonfiction and fiction alike. Her novels, “Vacant Eyes” and “Borrowed Memories,” are award-winning paranormal mysteries. Chris’ latest book, “Someone Knows,” is a nonfiction about 52 of South Dakota’s many cold cases.
• 11:30 a.m. - Noon — Simultaneous Tracks for Different Books — Self / Indie / Vanity / Traditional Publishing with Heidi Herman. Heidi is the author of seven books in five genres. Through her publishing company, she manages four titles written by her Icelandic mother. Born in the United States, Heidi cherishes her Icelandic heritage and loves to travel while sharing Icelandic culture through her books and public speaking.
• Noon - 1 p.m. — Lunch Break – a light lunch will be provided for attendees.
• 12:30 - 1 p.m. — Author Panel Topic: Marketing. Panelists include Sallianne Hines, Heidi Herman, James A.W. Schmidt, Christine Mager Wevik and Richard Skorupski.
• 1:15 - 1:45 p.m. — Storytelling & Self-Publishing with Richard Skorupski. As an independent author since 2012, Richard is well-versed in the world of self-publishing and can offer valuable insights to aspiring writers looking to get started. Join him for an informative and inspiring presentation on the power of storytelling and the art of self-publishing.
• 2 - 2:30 p.m. — Copyright & Protecting Authorship with Sallianne Hines and Heidi Herman. Learn about copyright for your book, how not to violate the copyright of other writers and artists, ISBN numbers, setting up your author business, tax considerations, and various options used by Heidi and Sallianne for their own businesses. Please note: This is NOT legal advice; they will speak about their own experience. There are many options available and authors should consult their own attorney.
For more information about this event please contact the Huron Public Library at 605-353-8530 or email the Library Director at [email protected].