Library to host kids clothing
HURON — The Huron Public Library is planning a Kids’ Clothing Swap on Saturday, Aug. 5.
Does it feel like your children outgrew their clothes overnight? Do you have kids’ clothes that still have some wearability, but no longer fit? The swap is a great way to pass clothes to kids who will use them in our community and get clothes for your kids when you need them.
Clothing for the swap can be dropped off at the library circulation desk anytime through Friday, Aug. 4.
The swap will begin at 9 a.m. for those who brought items to share, and it will be open to the public from 10 to 11:30 a.m. The cost will be $5 a bag.
Kids’ Korner (Birth-Grade 3)
• Tuesday, Aug. 8, is National Sleep Under the Stars Day. Hang out in the Kids’ Korner reading tents during the day or show up at 6 p.m. with your sleeping bag to watch “Wall-E!”
• The Kids’ Korner will be celebrating National Book Lovers Day by handing out some free books! Check out our Facebook page “HPL Kids’ Korner” for the Book Lovers post on Aug. 9 and enter into the drawing by commenting on which book you would like!
• Aug. 11 is National Kinetic Sand Day. Stop by anytime throughout the day to play with kinetic sand in the Kids’ Korner.
The library’s weekly crafts will return on Aug. 21. Check out the table in the Kids’ Korner for a new craft each week that can be made at the library or taken home.
Tweens / Teens (Grades 4 – 12)
The library has two Nintendo Switch systems and gaming computers available exclusively for tweens and teens. The youth will also have the following opportunities available and can register online or by calling the library.
• Wednesdays, Aug. 2 and 9 is tween and teen book clubs.
• Create a work of art with your pet. Signup to get an art kit to take home and determine if your pet can create a Paw-casso. Pick up supplies Tuesday, Aug. 1 and bring artwork back to the library by Friday, Aug. 18.
• Monday, Aug. 7, is Teen Destination Unknown. At 8 a.m. they will load the bus and hit the road. The question is where? Our lips are sealed!
• Tuesday, Aug. 15, at 9 a.m. (tweens) and 1:30 p.m. (teens) paint Bob Ross style. Bob Ross was an American painter, art instructor, and television host. He was the creator and host of The Joy of Painting, an instructional television program.
• Saturday, Aug. 19, at 1 p.m. is Drawing Club where you can learn different styles of drawing.
• Monday, Aug. 28, at 4 p.m. is Fun with Food. Youth will learn to make a quick and easy treat —cherry turnovers!
• Wednesday, Aug. 30, is Contagious Intelligence at 2 p.m., where they will play Jeopardy.
• Mondays at 6:30 p.m. Chess Club will meet at the library. Registration is not required and is open to all ages.
• Registration for Adult Craft classes in September will open on Aug. 1 at 9 a.m. They will be making Faux Stained Glass.
• Aug. 7 is Monday Movies at 1 and 6 p.m. showing: “Gentleman’s Agreement”
(1947) with a runtime of 1 hour 47 minutes.
Adult Book Clubs
• Murder Mystery Summer Book Club meets Aug. 3 at 6 p.m. This group will meet to talk strategy, discuss discoveries, and offer possible conclusions of “Cain’s Jawbone” (1934).
• Mystery Book Club meets on Aug. 9 at 5:30 p.m. reading “The Housemaid” by Freida McFadden.
• Around the World Book Club meets on Aug. 17 at noon reading “The Luminaries” (pages 437 to end) by Eleanor Catton.
• Senior Center Book Club meets on Aug. 18 at 10:15 a.m. at the Senior Center. This month members will choose their own book to discuss.
For more information about library programs, pick up a monthly calendar at the library, watch Facebook for event notices, or call 605-353-8530.