September is Library Card Signup month
HURON — September is Library Card Signup Month! A Library Card is ELEMENTAL! Get in Your Element this September — sign up for a library card! From borrowing books, ebooks, and state park passes to getting homework help, learning new skills, or attending crafts and movie events, a library card helps you do more of what you enjoy. Get a library card to dive into a new hobby and spark your creativity. A library card is your most important school supply — it’s elemental, really — and everyone should have one!
Kids’ Korner (Birth-Grade 3):
September brings change with it! School has started changing daily routines and soon fall will bring seasonal changes. The Huron Public Library doesn’t have a lineup of programs for this month like it normally would, but they do have some new things happening. The big announcement is that they have a new Children’s Librarian and her name is Danyelle. She will be starting after Labor Day, so look for more news about her in the weeks to come!
Tweens / Teens (Grades 4 – 12):
September back-to-school programs begin! The library is trying out its first Grab & Go Mystery kits. Register and pick up the kit at the circulation desk. Participants will have until Tuesday, Sept. 19, at 8 p.m. to solve the mystery!
Tweens and Teens will be celebrating Roald Dahl this month by making a salt dough fox on Sept. 13 at 4 p.m. Registration is required for this activity.
On Wednesday, Sept. 20, from 4 to 5 p.m. they will begin watching “Fantastic Mr. Fox” and finish the movie on Friday, Sept. 22, at 4 p.m.
Then on Thursday, September 21, at 4 p.m. the youth will create a beaded bracelet. Registration is required for this activity.
• Registration is now open to enter a display in The Great Scarecrow Festival in Campbell Park Oct. 6-9. There will be three divisions: youth, classroom, and service group / business. Prizes will be awarded to “Best in Show” for all three divisions, plus a People’s Choice Award. Please contact the library for more details!
• Registration for Adult Craft classes on Oct. 16 at 1 and 6 p.m. is open now. They will be painting decorative wooden candy corn.
• Sept. 9 from 3 to 5 p.m. is the James River Valley Chess Club meeting led by club member Jim Perry. The meeting will begin with a 10 to 15 minute talk about the basic principles of Chess for those who are interested, after which attendees will pair off and play. In addition, patrons can stop by the library on Tuesdays or Thursdays (Sept. 5, 7, 12, or 14) for informal instructional sessions from 4 to 5 p.m. Perry will have drop-in hours for anyone who wishes to go over a game, discuss analysis, or has general questions about chess.
• Sept. 18 is Monday Movies at 1 and 6 p.m. showing “The Greatest Show on Earth” (1952) with a runtime of 2 hours 33 minutes. Snacks are provided!
• Sept. 19 at 6 p.m. will be Medicare 101: The Basics of Medicare. Do you have questions about Medicare? Are you feeling overwhelmed by the many TV ads or postcards piling up in your mailbox? If the answer is yes . . . Please join Brenda Arteman and Betty Thomas of 1st Stop Insurance for a Medicare 101 educational meeting hosted by Huron Public Library.
Arteman and Thomas will cover what you need to know about Medicare and explore Medicare basic benefits, supplemental plans, prescription drug plans, and Medicare Advantage plans. They will also explain when and how to sign up for Medicare. What if you plan on continuing to work? Learn what choices are available to you.
Adult Book Clubs
• Mystery Book Club meets on Sept. 14 at 5:30 p.m. reading “The Silent Patient” by Alex Michaelides.
• Senior Center Book Club meets on Sept. 15 at 10:15 a.m. reading “Still Alice” by Lisa Genova. This group meets at the Senior Center located at 290 Seventh St. S.W.
• Around the World Book Club meets on Sept. 21 at noon. Reading “Next Year in Havana” by Chanel Cleeton.
For more information about library programs, pick up a monthly calendar at the library, watch Facebook for event notices, or give us a call at 605-353-8530. We hope to see you at the library!