Tigers collect first win against Spearfish

PHOTOS BY MIKE CARROLL/PLAINSMAN In the first photo, Huron’s Baht Khin plays the ball during a game against Spearfish on Saturday at Tiger Stadium. And in the second photo, Huron’s Thai Say passes the ball as a Spearfish defender converges during their game Saturday.

HURON — Huron had the first four goals en route to a 4-1 victory against Sturgis and its first boys’ varsity soccer win of the season on Saturday at Tiger Stadium.
“We did a great job today possessing the ball and working as a team. They played a great 80-minute complete game and everyone was able to see playing time and contribute to this win,” said Huron coach Leah Branaugh. “I was pleased the way the team bounced back from a disappointing loss last night to Spearfish.”
With a pair of goals in the opening half, Baht Khin put the Tigers out front 2-0. The first was unassisted at the 19:10 mark, while the second coming at the 38:03 mark on a pass from Angelo Pa Kae.
Huron stretched its lead to 3-0 just over 13 minutes into the second half as Kler Hae found the net on a pass from Eduardo Trujillo.
Trujillo also assisted on the final goal of the game for the Tigers, as Pa Kae scored at the 30:37 mark of the second half.
The Scoopers would score their lone goal at 34:16 of the second half to spoil the shutout.
Rogello Sanchez Perez and Nick Weir shared time in the net for Huron. Sanchez Perez tallied nine saves, while Weir had one save.
“Rogelio Sanchez Perez had an amazing day in the goal and used his speed to really cover his ground in the box,” Branaugh said. “Our offense continues to push the ball and take quality shots. We had many great looks on goal today and hope to connect on a few more of those next week against Aberdeen and James Valley Christian.”
On Friday, Spearfish rallied in the second half to record a 4-2 win against the Tigers in the season opener for both teams.
“The team did a good job of keeping possession in the first half. We were able to connect on great passes and had excellent ball movement,” Branaugh said. “We also started the second half strong, but started to run out of gas in the latter part of the second half.”
After the Spartans scored the opening goal, Huron used back-to-back goals from Khin to carry a 2-1 lead into the second half.
Khin’s first goal came on a pass from Wanney So in the 28th minute, while the second was assisted by Sha Sher in the 35th minute.
“I was impressed with the way we moved the ball and played as a full team in the first 60 minutes of the game,” Branaugh said.
Huron will return to action Tuesday with its first away game of the season at 6 p.m. at Aberdeen Central. The Tigers will then host James Valley Christian at 4 p.m. Friday at Tiger Stadium.

The Huron girls’ soccer team battled to a 0-0 draw against Sturgis on Saturday at Tiger Stadium.
The Huron girls will travel to face Aberdeen Central at 4 p.m. Tuesday and then host Garretson at 4 p.m. Thursday at Tiger Stadium.


Video News
More In Sports