Each month there are opportunities to volunteer in programs all around Huron. We are helping spread the word.
• The local American Red Cross is looking for volunteers for Saturday, April 29, from 1 to 2:30 p.m. They will be hanging notices on door handles in the southeast section of town to announce the Fire Alarm Campaign for the following Saturday, May 6.
Volunteers will meet at 1 p.m. at the North Fire Station, then disperse to the southeast side of Huron. To volunteer please call Charlotte at 352-4306.
• Huron Adult Day Care is in need of volunteers to work on crafts, and help with recycling cards. Also needed is someone to play the piano for one half hour each Monday morning and be a substitute as needed on other days. Contact Ruth Eilers at 353-1726.
• The Huron Advocacy Program is looking for someone who would like to volunteer to develop a partnership with an elderly woman. She is looking to find someone who would like to do crafts, attend movies, and plays or concerts. Shopping and exercise are also things she likes to do. If this is something you are interested in please contact Lisa at 350-6072 for more information on the process to become a volunteer.
• The Beadle County Humane Society can always use volunteers to help with the animals and other chores at the shelter on an ongoing basis — help with kennels in the mornings, or in the afternoons to shred paper and walk and bathe dogs. Potential volunteers can contact the shelter by phone at 352-8955 and ask for Kim or Denise or they can e-mail them at [email protected]
• Heartland Regional Backpack Program. Wednesdays 2:50 p.m. at Tiger Activity Center. (Begins Oct. 5.) Contact Brenda Mann at 354-3676.
• Huron School District After-School Program — play games, indoors and out, puzzles, etc. at Madison, Buchanan, Jefferson. Contact Marcia Ready ([email protected])
• Vanya Munce can use volunteers to help during Huron Middle School Math Night activities throughout the year. For more information, contact Munce at [email protected]
• Huron Youth Leadership Council — students interested in helping should contact the United Way at 352-3537 or Henry Rubish at the high school, 353-7800.
• The Jan Manolis Family Safe Center is looking for people who would like to be advocates for the program. Monthly meetings and training is provided. Call 554-0398 for more information.
• The American Red Cross needs volunteers to help provide support after home fires and storms. Please go to redcross.org to start the volunteer process. If you have questions please contact Jennifer Ross at (425) 330-6558. All training is at no cost to the volunteer.
• SunQuest Healthcare Center is looking for volunteers to play board games, give manicures and paint nails, play piano for entertainment, escort residents to medical clinics, help deliver mail, read books and newspapers, and just to visit with residents. Call Jenny Sorben at 352-8471.
• RSVP is looking for people who can assist the Beadle County Area Nutrition program and deliver meals to the homebound. Call Lyza Mendel, 554-1400.
• The Foster Grandparent Program is looking for people who want to work with children in the schools or Headstart Center. Contact Julie Schultz at 262-0708.
• Girl Scouts – Dakota Horizons: Change a girl’s life. Become a volunteer. Contact Julie Danielson, membership management specialist, at 605-336-2978, ext. 9809.
• Cornerstones Career Learning Center is in need of additional ESL (English Second Language) aides in the classroom weeknights and weekends. Please call 353-7175 and ask for John or Carla
• Cornerstones Career Learning Center is in need of volunteers to work with the Business & Industry Training Coordinator. Call Sandy at 353-7175, Ext. 213, or stop at CCLC at 33 Third St. S.E., Suite 202.
• Beadle County Area Nutrition needs volunteers to assist the staff in the kitchen and dining room at the Huron Area Senior Center. Volunteers are also needed to deliver meals to private homes. For more information, please call 352-6091.
(Have a need for volunteers and want to announce it? Contact Rhonda Kludt at [email protected])