HURON — The Huron School Board met Monday evening. Superintendent Dr. Kraig Steinhoff said in his report to the board that Buchanan K-1 Center will receive a free donation of Strider bikes through the All Kids Bike program.
All kids will learn how to ride a bike through the physical education curriculum, with the striders allowing the students to be able to simply stride without pedals, with the pedals able to be later added. This program will start with the next school term.
Director of ESL, Jolene Konechne presented her report on the ESL program.
In 2009-2010, there were 297 ESL students and 25 first year in the country students
This year, the ESL program has 977 ESL students and 84 first year in the country students
“We have continued to grow over the past years,” said Konechne, adding there is a projection of having over a thousand students in the next couple of years.
Currently there are 221 at Buchanan, 202 at Madison, 166 at Washington, 172 at the middle school, 179 at the high school, 17 at Huron Colony and 14 at Riverside Colony.
Fewer students went backwards this year, with more students showing progress. This year, 66 students across the district were able to exit from the ESL program, compared to 59 students last year, with third graders having the largest number of students exiting. In order to exit the program, students have to score a 5 out of 6 on the access or they can score a 4 on the access and proficient or advanced on the state ESL assessment.
“They (students) will be monitored for two years to ensure that they are getting the services that they need within the classroom, and if we need to assist them in any way we certainly can,” added Konechne.
Congratulations were extended to Employees of the Year as announced at the Employee Recognition Banquet held May 10:
• Classified – Janet Johnsen and Willie Williams;
• Professional Support Staff – Akina Decker – and Finalists Lisa McCarty and Stephanie Vaitohi
• Elementary Teacher – Stacey Westby – and Finalists April Ahlers and Nicolle Mudge
• Middle School Teacher – Joel Bergeson – and Finalists Tammy Barnes and Brittany McClanahan
• High School Teacher – Beth Neitzert – and Finalists Samantha Kruse and Wade Stobbs
Congratulations and best wishes were extended to all of 2023 retirees, including Karla Sawvell, Teresa Smith, Kathy Kempf, Brenda Snyder, Lisa McCarty, Barb Myhre and Kelly Rotert
Michelle Chase was recognized for winning the Regional American Legion Teacher of the Year
Thank you’s were extended to various businesses in town who have donated donuts, specialty items and coupons to teachers for Teacher Appreciation Week
In dates to remember:
• May 29, is Memorial Day holiday (no school).
• June 1, is last day of school.
• June 5 will begin the Summer Feeding at Huron Middle School and mobile meals at Splash Central from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
• June 9, Grab n’ Go weekend meals will begin at Huron Middle School from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
• June 7, ESL Summer School for grades K-7 begins
• June 12, next School Board of Education meeting at 5:30 p.m. in the IPC room of Huron Arena.