This year marks the 21st year that the Center for Independence has awarded scholarships to assist children of current full-time employees in obtaining post-secondary education. The program was implemented in 2001 to provide a means for employees to work cooperatively to meet the increasing costs associated with post-secondary education.
The Center for Independence Board of Directors matches a portion of the employee contributions demonstrating the agency’s commitment to helping the children of employees further their education.
Since the inception of the Scholarship Program, 255 students have received $145,485 in scholarships.
This year’s recipients listed below have been awarded scholarships of $700 each.
• Tracy Albrecht is the daughter of Patricia Tompkins of Huron. Tracy is attending South Dakota State University majoring in early childhood education.
• Holly Andrews is the daughter of Mabel and James Andrews of Lake Preston. Holly will be attending Lake Area Technical College for dental assisting.
• Sasha Andrews is the daughter of Mabel and James Andrews of Lake Preston. Sasha attends Norther State University majoring in graphic design.
• Natasha Boyd is the daughter of Marsha Zephier of Aberdeen. Natasha attends Rochester Community Technical College majoring in business administration.
• Bronson Cole is the son of Sonja Cole of Aberdeen. Bronson attends Seattle University majoring in forensic psychology.
• Xavier Erickson is the son of Nicole Phillips of Huron. Will be attending Finlandia University majoring in criminal justice.
• Kayde Fernholz is the daughter of Shawn and Kelly Fernholz of Miller. Kayde will be attending Kansas State University majoring in elementary education.
• Austin Gross is the son of Nicole and Chris Gross of Huron. Austin attends Northern State University majoring in history education.
• Macey Kline is the daughter of Kristin and Neal Kline of Huron. Macey will be attending the University of South Dakota majoring in elementary and special education.
• Nate Lyon is the son of Micheal and Michelle Lyon of Huron. Nate will be attending Minnesota State University at Moorhead majoring in psychology.
• Kade Neugebauer is the son of Mike and Mary Neugebauer of Huron. Kade will be attending Mitchel Technical College majoring in small business administration.
• Izaiah Phillips is the son of Nicole Phillips of Huron. Izaiah will be attending Finlandia University majoring in business administration.
• Christopher Wallace is the son of Carolyn and Kurt Wallace of Lake Preston. Christopher will be attending Lake Area Technical College majoring in custom fabrication and paint.