HURON — With a brief agenda, the Huron city commission worked quickly Monday evening through multiple items.
The commission approved the final payment of $126,118.88 to Midland Contracting along with a change order for the paving project on 3rd Street Southwest from West Park to Union Avenue. City Engineer Brett Runge stated that due to wet conditions, the project was delayed in completion from fall of 2019 to this year.
Commissioner Bryan Smith spoke during public forum to thank emergency workers and police officers for their work during the city’s Parade of Lights last Friday.
Commissioner Smith also presented the weekly COVID-19 update to the commission, noting that the recovered cases had outpaced positive cases for the week, leading to a reduction in active cases.
• Approved an alcoholic beverage consumption in public area permit to Makia Hinojosa for a baby shower on Dec. 5 at Campus Center Blackburn Hall
• Approved an alcoholic beverage consumption in public area permit to Double D Western LLC for Girls Just Want to Have Fun event on Dec. 5 at Double D
• Set Dec. 14 as the public hearing date to consider transferring a malt beverage and South Dakota farm wine license from I Mart Stores LLC, I Mart Stores 1903 Dakota Ave S to IYS Ventures LLC, I Mart Stores, 1903 Dakota Ave S.
• Set Dec. 14 as the public hearing date to consider a lease agreement with Shue Creek Services, Kim Arbeiter for office 203 at the Fine Arts Center
• Approved a raffle for Huron Country Club to run Jan. 1 - April 30 at the country club
• Accepted the resignation of Allen Sager from the Historic Preservation Board.
The Solid Waste Department announced the final collection of yard waste for the season on Wednesday, Dec. 2. Trucks will not be re-routed. Once the container is emptied, residents are asked to remove it from the pick up area until next spring.