O’Gorman cruises past Tigers in final home game

© 2018-Huron Plainsman

HURON — The Sioux Falls O’Gorman Knights, who are the No. 3-ranked team in Class 11AAA, outgained Huron 507 to 181 yards and the final score reflected that Friday night at Tiger Stadium.
O’Gorman, which improved to 5-2, emerged with a 55-13 victory in the final home game of the season for the Tigers.
Despite the lopsided setback, Huron coach Michael Schmitz liked what he saw out of his team.
“I was impressed coming out. We threw some new things at them and our kids jumped all over  it and took control of what they could control,” Schmitz said. “They played hard and that’s all I was asking for.
“The kids’ effort and heart were there,” he said. “We tried to get them to come out and hammer away, and let them loose a little bit, and I think they had more fun than they’ve had in a while.”
The Tigers were able to thwart O’Gorman on its opening possession, as Chipper Shillingstad came up with an interception to give Huron the ball for the first time in the game.
The momentum didn’t translate into a scoring opportunity for Huron, however.
The Knights were able to put the first points on the board during their next possession as Riley Katen scored on a 60-yard run with 5:42 remaining in the opening quarter.
O’Gorman added to its lead before the end of the opening quarter, as Max Tibbetts hauled in a 5-yard touchdown pass from Isaac Struck to make it 14-0.
The Tigers were able to hold the Knights scoreless for more than half of the second quarter, but they reached the end zone three times before the end of the first half to carry a 34-0 lead into the locker room
Katen scored his second touchdown of the game on a 4-yard run to start the scoring flurry. Struck reached the end zone from a yard out and then tossed a 3-yard scoring strike to Tibbetts to end the half.
O’Gorman would stretch its lead to 48-0 with a pair of touchdowns in the third quarter, both coming off Huron turnovers.
Iman Legesse scored on an 11-yard run with 5:51 remaining in the third quarter for the Knights. Then Tate Wishard used a 19-yard touchdown run to make it 48-0 with just 42 seconds left in the third quarter.
The Tigers put their first points on the board to open the scoring in the fourth quarter. Kobe Busch scored on a 9-yard pass from Jett McGirr at the 8:13 mark of the final quarter to make it 48-6.
The score followed the lone fumble of the game by the Knights and was the third consecutive touchdown as a result of a turnover.
On the ensuing possession, the Knights added to their total as Wishard scored his second touchown of the game on a 1-yard run with 5:50 to play.
Huron answered with the final points of the game on its next drive. Teagan Evers hauled in a 16-yard touchdown pass from McGirr at the 4:01 mark of the fourth quarter. An extra-point kick by Steven Moo made it 55-13.
Katen led the Knights with 99 yards rushing on three carries. Wishard had 11 carries for 86 yards, while Legesse had 47 yards on nine carries and Struck had six carries for 38 yards.
Struck finished with 193 yards through the air on 13 of 22 passing.
McGirr and Busch combined to go 9 of 23 passing for 107 yards for the Tigers, who are now 1-6.
Alex Hill had six carries for 23 yards, while Shillingstad and Busch had 20 and 19 yards rushing, respectively.
“The kids worked extremely hard this week and I think it showed. We did some real positive things up the middle,” Schmitz said. “I’m excited to get back to work Monday. I think we’re getting back on track rather quickly.”
Huron will travel to face Spearfish on Friday in the first of two road games to close the regular season

Photos by Mike Carrol of the Plainsman
Huron quarterback Jett McGirr hands the ball to Chipper Shillingstad during their game against Sioux Falls O’Gorman on Friday at Tiger Stadium. Huron senior Isaac Carr makes a catch as Sioux Falls O’Gorman’s Penn Johnson converges on the play during their game Friday at Tiger Stadium. 

Video News
More In Sports